Friday, January 21, 2011

Complex Rigging pt.2 - Skin That Sucker!

In the last post, i created a fairly complex parametric mass to use as a rig.  This week I'll look at using that rig to generate a changeable and (hopefully) graceful skin.

First i take my mass family that i generated last week:

Next I'll select a one of the vertically oriented faces and divide the surface.  I TURN OFF THE HORIZONTAL LINES because they will only trip me up on the next couple of steps.

Next I go to the SURFACE REPRESENTATION options to turn NODE VISIBILITY ON.

Now my surface has a nice node at the top and bottom edge of every division.  This is the part that won't work right if horizontal lines are still on.

After giving the same treatment to the inside surface, I start linking the points using the curve tool in 3D Snapping mode.

Working my way around and then hiding the rig form, I end up with all these reference lines:

Which i can start stitching together.  For some reason REVIT wouldn't let me make half the form at one shot.  I used a quarter of the form in this example, but you can go as far as ONE LESS THAN HALF the shape...i don't get it...

Applying a surface patterns to the new skin gives me:

Neat!  And now, I have curvy skin that will respond to the parameters of my rig:
I used a pretty benign skin pattern here, but these are some examples of flexing different CURTAIN PANEL PATTERNS on the skin:
Some great comments on last weeks post.  I love it when readers sound off!

On the topic of accuracy, I want to point to this Wikipedia page on "Accuracy" and "Precision".  Its a fun semantic argument indeed.

Just as well, I think its worth noting that we are dealing with the CONCEPTUAL Massing Environment, not the FINISHED FORM, CONSTRUCTION & MANUFACTURING ACCURATE Massing Environment.  There is a pretty wide distance between the 2 and REVIT, on the whole, can arguably cover alot of that ground, but I haven't found a tool yet that can cover ALL of it.
There's more in the pipeline on this....

1 comment:

  1. Cool... its fun watching this update. I have recently been working with setting up rigs for for creation and manipulation. One thought I had was you could use an adaptive component for your curve creation.

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete